Saturday 26 November 2011

ROYAL PIER-AGE!



It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Grovelling in the mud beneath Bangor Pier, surreptitiously sifting through the detritus of past generations - love it. Not everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll grant you, but there could be anything buried in this oily slime: animal bones, bits of old pottery, mediaeval  artefacts, coins of the realm - literally anything and that’s the attraction, not to mention the peace and quiet ...  or so I thought.

“Hiya Barb ... what you doing down there?”

Terry Thomas’ smiling head was up there in the daylight. Squinting from the shadows I could just make him out, hanging over the wrought iron pier railings. I was going to say something sarcastic about having a picnic on the rocks and then I remembered that he was the proprietor of a little goldmine part way down the boards.  “Just coming up for a brew Terry,” I called back.

Wow! What a great surprise. I knew he had a little F&B business, and that it was becoming more established with every season, but this was better than I’d expected.

Of course the view along the Menai Strait is sensational in both directions, and the food (TT’s special pancakes, authentic Welsh rarebit, homemade Bara Brith etc; etc;) is everything that you’d expect, but I guess the real crack is all the goss – who’s been there, when, why and what they said.


SAYLE OF THE CENTURY?

“Alright then, what’s happening Terry?”

I was glad that I’d asked. It seems that Whistlestop-On-The-Pier has become the must- visit eatery on the North Wales coastline and it hasn’t escaped the attention of the rich and famous:

‘This is a favourite spot of ours. My wife and I come here not only for the views which are spectacular but also for the wonderful, authentic, Welsh rarebit, dished up at the pier’s Whistlestop Cafe. It's run by an ex-academic who used to teach at the University, and it's one of those places that's got that elusive something that always draws you back.’
Alexei Sayle. Beautiful Britain October 2010.

Can’t disagree with him really. My mate Terry is selling grub to the stars now – amazing. Just a week before the Royal “announcement”, last November, Terry had an unexpected visit. The pier was completely empty, not a person in sight when suddenly he noticed a solitary couple walking towards the Whistlestop. He watched them through the tiny gothic windows as they approached and as they drew closer it became apparent that the young chap was Prince Harry.

 “I couldn’t believe it when they came into the cafe,” he gasped. “I knew immediately it was Prince Harry. He had a very nice, dark haired young lady with him (TT wouldn’t say any more on the subject of the lady!) and they sat down to eat. She ordered a pancake and he had a Welsh rarebit. They chatted away happily and no-one was around to disturb them. When they finished eating they came across to pay and I just had to say something, so I casually asked ’Whereabouts  in the country are you from?’ and they started to giggle. The young lady pointed at Prince Harry and mischievously said, ’Oh, he’s from Buckingham ... shire!’ and we all burst out laughing. It was a lovely moment, then they thanked me, said good bye and left. ”

Great stuff Terry! Glad I climbed up for a cuppa. Running this little place atop the pier seems to be a bit like mudlarking beneath it – you never know what’s going to turn up!


No comments:

Post a Comment