Wednesday 7 December 2011

What a Knob!



There it was, lying in a clump of wet seaweed right on the top of the rocks. No ordinary artefact this - exquisitely carved with excellent patination – the surprise find seemed to stare back at me.  Maybe the man in the middle had something to do with it. I’d been charmed by an unknown face on an old wet door knob, I had to admit it - I was instantly smitten.

 With his sharp mediaeval pageboy hairstyle held in place by a princely crown, this bloke’s status appeared to be pretty clearly defined, not to mention the precision carved designs surrounding his head - but it was the piercing eyes that had me from the outset.  I bet he’d been there all afternoon, the silent observer watching me from the rock pools ... digging hard in the mud and sand.

Okay, so the only thing I actually detected that day was a sardonic grin beneath his bronze beard, and to date I haven’t been able to dig up any history on my verdigris prince, but for once I don’t care.  

This little beauty goes down as one of my best finds ever, and I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment